So, I got tired of looking at Chrome Dev Tools in white, so I took a couple themes and constructed this one.
First, do this.
So, my latest project has been to get Netflix! Well, I moved to Ubuntu a few weeks ago and alas Netflix has no Linux client. WTF!?
Well, I thought to myself, as I always do, “I should be able to get it running in a Virtual Machine!” And, once I got it up on Windowz XP, it loaded, then froze..and then again…and again.
I use OpenDNS, not Google. So, I thought that maybe I should give OpenDNS a try and changed my VM’s DNS to OpenDNS’s.
Now, I don’t know if this works because my host machine is with OpenDNS and my VM is on OpenDNS too, but it’s working right now.
Other Notes: Using Chrome on the VM, 3D hardware acceleration on the host, VM has 3 GB RAM and super-dooper tweaks I can’t remember.
/Camp — Free classes on all things Web in the Scottsdale, Arizona area (Ad)
Okay, I’m not sure if I am like the rest of you, but sometimes I feel like giving up on Linux. Yesterday it was because I couldn’t get full screen video to play without being choppy and slow. Not to mention using Unity (which I like) in 3D with the
fglrx proprietary drivers made my desktop choppy and slow as well.
Well, after telling myself, “Dammit! I hate having to go back to Windowz!” I did what a true Linux-er would do and started Googleing my way out of the problem. I landed on a page where a user said he preffered the open source Radeon driver over the fglrx drivers, and I thought, “what the hell.”
Installing the Driver/Removing fglrx
So, I finally found my way to this page, which gave a great how-to on removing the old
fglrx drivers fully and installing the new open source Radeon drivers.
sudo apt-get remove --purge xorg-driver-fglrx fglrx* sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri fglrx-modaliases sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-core
Do a restart and notice how fast everything is! At least it was for me. Video could run full screen at 1080HD on my HD TV, YouTube the same and my UI was also faster and snappier!
So, once I got this done I noticed my laptop getting hot and the fan acting like there was a fire nearby! So, I went, again, Googling for my solution.
I reached this page and found out that there is power management built into the driver, but they aren’t enabled by default.
I enabled the
auto power options in the terminal, on the fly, by:
echo profile > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method echo mid > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
So these changes do not stick around the next time you restart your computer or wake it from sleep mode. So, I ran into this page and found out how to make these changes stick:
Step 1: Create hook:
gksudo gedit /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/radeon-power_profile
Step 2: Fill file with in the desired setting:
#!/bin/sh echo profile > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method echo auto > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile exit 0
Step 3: Make it executable:
sudo chmod +x /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/radeon-power_profile
And now my laptop is not running as hot and the fan is not mondo-hyper all the time. And…. it performs, visually, at least as well as when I was on Windowz. Is that so much to ask for?
I’m not sure if at this point I’ve shared that I’ve made a move to Ubuntu, and I’ll admit it’s been alright so far. But, I still keep running into grandma-can’t-fix-that issues. The one I had this week was video issies with the speed of YouTube videos hiking up to 3-4 times the normal speed. Super annoying!
But, I was able to find a fix, here’s what I did:
Note: I am still having problems with this from time to time. This helps, but still creeps up!
It turns out the Chrome uses a built-in Flash plugin and another one, the one you probably have installed in Ubuntu. So, what you have to do is disable the built-in plugin to get things to work right.
Just browse to chrome://plugins/ and click Details on the right. From there, you’ll see two Flash files being used. Disable the one that is
And then, when you’ve fixed it, test it out on one of my favorite videos!
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=9" /> to
Don’t know why this works. But it does. I wasn’t able to load the content of an iframe fully without this.